[Pamphlets] A collection of pamphlets authored (or co- authored) by the famous genealogist and topographer, John Paul Rylands (1846-1923), bound together in a purpose-made volume. The subject matter is largely genealogical and heraldic, focusing on Lancashire and Cheshire. The collection comprises the following titles:
A seventeenth-century Perthshire public library (accompanied by a manuscript letter, 1898, from a grateful recipient,
C. Birnie), An eighteenth-century Leicestershire church library, Twenebrokes, or Twanbrook, of Appleton, Grappenhall, and Daresbury in the county of Chester, A.D. 1170 to 1831, On an impressed plaque bearing a portrait of King Charles I, On the armorial glass at Vale Royal, Spurstow Hall, Utkinton Hall, and Tarporley rectory, George William Marshall, York Herald, Some memorials of the family of Ferrar, of Little Gidding, co. Huntingdon, The rectors of Woodchurch ... 1588-1919, Memoranda relating to the parish church of St. Wilfrid, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, co. Notts. 1907, Notes taken in the churches of Preston, Manchester, Eccles, Winwick, Farnworth, Sephton, and Hale, and at Lea Hall, in the county of Lancaster, Heraldic memorials of the Hulton family, in Deane church, co. Lancaster, Arms and crest of John Westby, 1560, An armorial bench end in Hawarden church, Armorial panels in Eastham church, Impressions of armorial seals of Cheshire gentry, made by Elias Ashmole in 1663, Some armorial house-tablets in Lancashire.
The front free endpaper bears an inscription in pencil, “For John Power Rylands from Grannie”.
CHETHAM MISCELLANIES, VOLUME THE FIRST, Chetham Society, 1851; including Calendars of the names of families which entered their several pedigrees in the successive heraldic visitations of the County Palatine of Lancaster, and A fragment illustrative of Sir Wm. Dugdale’s visitation of Lancashire; folding facsimile plate; small 4to; orig. gilt dec. cloth, a little worn at top of spine, generally a sound copy. 10 pounds
[Manuscript] An indenture, 1895, between Joseph Milne, of Thornham, and James Goodier, of Thornham Lane, Slattocks, Castleton, foreman: lease for 999 years of land in Thornham Lane at a yearly rent of £2 16s. 3d.. The property lay in the township of Thornham and its position is described in detail and also illustrated in a coloured plan which shows the land in relation to Thornham Lane (leading from Slattocks to Gravel Hole) and the lands of Joseph Milne. Persons mentioned include John Milne, James Wild Clegg, John Clegg, John Haslam. Written on a single sheet of vellum, bearing one red wax seal and one red revenue stamp, in very good condition. 15 pounds
ENGLAND IN ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE, Winifred M. Bowman, Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son, 1960; “Being the history of the whole ancient manor and parish including "Ashton Town", Alt, Alt Edge, Audenshaw, Bardsley, Crossbank, Hooley Hill, Hurst, Limehurst (with Waterloo), Lees, Littlemoss, Luzley, Mossley, Smallshaw, Stalybridge (Lancashire side), Taunton, Waterhouses, Woodhouses and Wood Park”. Illus. with colour frontispiece, frequent black and white plates (some folding), maps and plans (one folding and coloured), text figures; xxiii+710 pp.; 4to; original gilt dec. blue cloth, worn and faded, outer corners of upper board heavily chewed, outer corners of first few leaves slightly chewed, a working copy, without dust-jacket. 65 pounds
KNOWSLEY PARK, ITS ANTIQUITY AND HISTORY; THE ANCESTRAL HOME OF THE STANLEYS, (reprinted), The Mitre Press, n.d.; 2 illus., 14pp; small 8vo; orig. dec. cloth, almost as new. 10 pounds
THE NOTE BOOK OF REV. THOMAS JOLLY, A.D. 1671-1693; EXTRACTS FROM THE CHURCH BOOK OF ALTHAM AND WYMONDHOUSES, A.D. 1640-1725; AND AN ACCOUNT OF THE JOLLY FAMILY OF STANDISH, GORTON, AND ALTHAM, ed. Henry Fishwick, Chetham Society, 1894; one pedigree; 3 illus.; index; vii+xxxii+161pp.; small 4to; orig. gilt dec. cloth, some light water stains affecting top corners of front endpapers and first leaf, and similar at end (but lighter), a firm copy. 18 pounds
THE COUCHER BOOK OR CHARTULARY OF WHALLEY ABBEY, ed. W.A. Hutton, 4 volumes, Chetham Society, 1847-1849; small 4to; brief internal library marks, orig. gilt dec. cloth, generally a sound set, a little worn in places, firm volumes. 32 pounds
HEAPEY CHURCH, D.S. Rennard, Chorley, 1915; “The history of the ancient chapel of Heapey, in Lancashire”; viii+79pp; small 8vo; orig. blue cloth gilt, rubbed, a firm volume. 10 pounds
CHETHAM MISCELLANIES, VOLUME THE FIFTH, Chetham Society, 1875; including Letters on the claims of the College of Arms in Lancashire in the time of James I, and The Easter Rolls of Whalley in the years 1552 and 1553; facsimile plate; small 4to; orig. gilt dec. green cloth, lightly used. 10 pounds
MATERIALS FOR THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH OF LANCASTER, ed. William Oliver Roper, Volume 1 only (of 2), Chetham Society, 1892; frontispiece; 257pp; small 4to; orig. gilt dec. cloth, some damp staining on boards, otherwise a sound copy. 10 pounds
“OF GOOD AND PERFECT REMEMBRANCE”: BOLTON WILLS AND INVENTORIES 1545 TO 1600 (SURNAMES “A” TO “M”), Bolton & District F.H.S., 1987; illus. including sketch map; index of names; ix+212pp; 8vo; orig. green linen-backed card covers, a very good copy. 4 pounds