[Manuscript] 1878. Abstract of the Title of Mr. Henry Whitnall to a Messuage Shop Buildings Yard & Premises situate at Leeds. With history of earlier property transactions going back to 1832. Persons mentioned include Frances Buley, Benjamin Bottle, Frances Susannah Whitnall, John Brown, William Betts, Edward Richard Medlicott, William Farmer, Mark Batchelor, John Martin, George Valentine. Written on 4 large sheets of paper, in very good condition. 6 pounds

 

[Manuscripts. A bundle of legal papers, 1910, concerning Maidstone County Court. Various sizes. Written on paper, in very good condition. 5 pounds

 

[Manuscript] An indenture, 1830, between William Hall, of Dover, carpenter, Robert Hall, of Folkestone, fisherman, John Hall, of Berwick-upon-Tweed, shoemaker, and John Hall, of Dover, carpenter: a lease for a year of property in Cheriton. It included two pieces of land, one formerly part of land called the Barn field. The position of the land is described in relation to adjacent properties. Persons mentioned include Hunt Jeffery, Thomas Lows, Thomas Pain, George Shaw.  Written on a single sheet of vellum, in good condition, spotted, bearing three red wax seals and one blue revenue stamp9 pounds

 

[Manuscript] Indenture, 1840, between William Wraight, of Challock, yeoman, and Julius Gaborian Shepherd, of Faversham, gentleman: lease for a year of a messuage, land, etc., at Molash, “late in the several occupations of [blank] Hysted widow and Jane Hodge widow … bounding to the Queen’s Highway towards the East and South and to a Lane called Rock Wood Lane and to lands formerly of the heirs of Henry Pierce towards the West and North …”.  Other persons mentioned include Thomas Wraight, William Coveney, Thomas B. Jervis.  Signatures of witnesses on reverse side. A small, neat document written on a single sheet of vellum, bearing the red wax seal of William Wraight and one blue revenue stamp, lightly spotted, otherwise in very good condition. 11 pounds

 

[Manuscript]  A mortgage indenture, 1881, between William Harmer, of Hawkhurst, and William Orme Carter, of Hurst Green, Sussex, for securing £4,000 and interest.  The property included five pieces of land at Highgate, Hawkhurst, including messuages, a coach-house, etc..  Mention is made of a china shop and North Grove Asylum.  The exact positions of the land are described, mentioning adjacent properties, whose occupiers are named.  The document also incorporates and refers to an attractive large coloured plan depicting  the five properties in relation to Junction Road (from Cranbrook), the road from London to Rye, and the lands of Henry Maynard, Mrs A. Rollings, Mrs Durrant, and Lady Thompson.  The reverse side of the first sheet contains two later related indentures of 1886.  Other persons mentioned include Edward Winser Butcher, John Bryant, David Davis, George Hood, Robert Turley, Ellen Turley, Joseph Delves, Sarah Delves, James Donbell, Ann Hood, Samuel Sellens, William Henry Sellens, Robert Harvey, John Mercer Durrant, John Henry Howlett, Francis Ayerst, Harriet Rebecca Perigue, William Milsted Harmer, Frances Elizabeth Harmer, Sarah Harmer, Charles Oswin, William George Wilson, Francis William Aitkens.   A number of local place-names are mentioned.  Written on two large sheets of vellum, bearing three red wax seals and five red revenue stamps, in good condition. 28 pounds

 

[Manuscript]  1878 Abstract of the Title of Mr. Henry Whitnall to a Messuage Shop Buildings Yard & Premises situate at Leeds. With history of earlier property transactions going back to 1832. Persons mentioned include Frances Buley, Benjamin Bottle, Frances Susannah Whitnall, John Brown, William Betts, Edward Richard Medlicott, William Farmer, Mark Batchelor, John Martin, George Valentine. Written on 4 large sheets of paper, in very good condition. 6 pounds

 

[Manuscript] Obligation bond, 1821, of Robert Fullcher, of Cranbrook, farmer, to William Ballard, of 6 Dean Street, Commercial Road, Middlesex, in the sum of £800, to pay 5% interest on £400. Bearing red wax seal of Robert Fullcher, and his signature and those of two witnesses. Written on paper, in very good condition. 8 pounds

 

[Manuscript] An indenture, 1871, between John Scott, of London, manufacturer, and Edward Williams Nicholas Snell, of Kidbrooke Farm, schoolmaster: lease of a messuage and premises in the hamlet of Kidbrooke. The messuage was known as Kidbrooke House and its position is described and is also illustrated in a hand-coloured plan which shows its cross-section in relation to lands owned by the Earl of St. Germans and the turnpike road leading from Shooters Hill to London. The conditions of the lease stipulate that the lessee “ … will use or let the said messuage and premises as a private residence or school only …”.  A schedule describing fixtures and fittings is included. Persons mentioned include Revd. John Thompson, John D. Clarke. A single large sheet of vellum, bearing one red wax seal and one blue revenue stamp, signatures of witnesses on reverse side; in good condition. 20 pounds

 

THE REGISTERS OF BOUGHTON-UNDER-BLEAN [1558-1625], The Parish Register Society, Vol. 49, 1903; index, xii+120pp; 8vo; endpapers browned, bound in blue cloth gilt, spine darkened, a few “Law Society” library marks, generally a good copy. 18 pounds

 

 

 

 

 

 Kent books and manuscripts